Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A night from 1997

When my family moved to Georgia in 1990, I had this friend whose house was haunted. My friend never saw what I saw and her mother never believed me. He brother did, though. He saw the same things as I did - which made me feel less crazy. But I didn't really trust him since he made me feel weird when we were the only 2 awake at night and I found out later that he used to watch me sleep when I spent the night (which was A LOT).
I wanted to share the story of when the brother - let's call him Jack, my cousin - let's call him John, and my sister - let's call her Nicole all had an encounter with this entity.
Here's a rough diagram of the living room and where we were all sitting (excuse my horrible photoshop skills):


It was around 2 or 3 in the morning and my friend had just gone to bed. We were the only 4 awake in the house. I don't remember what we were talking about but it didn't have anything to do with the ghost in the house or anything scary.

Since I was by the back door, I kept hearing noises. Things kept falling over and getting displaced. I asked Jack what it was and he said it was probably the moles that his mom had stirred after they had dug a hole for their koi pond. I brushed it off and tried to not let it bother me. But things kept falling against the house. Metal kept clanging onto the brick patio and against the outer walls. I jokingly offered to go outside and chase the moles away but we laughed it off. I looked to the back door instinctively and, to my horror, there was a white shadow with it's face and hands pressed up against the glass. I looked back at Jack. He was getting up off the couch saying, "I saw it too". Nicole and John had no idea what we were talking about and laughed at us. I jumped up towards Jack and advised Nicole and John to do the same.
We walked into the kitchen. The white figure was there, banging on the glass, rattling the window pane. It was a huge kitchen window that overlooked the backyard in its entirety. And there were NEVER any curtains on it. I remember my friends' mom telling me that the sunlight that came in was too pretty to cover up. So, here we were in the kitchen with only 4 panels of glass separating us from the ghost. John and Nicole both saw it now and were just as scared as Jack and me.
I don't remember why this was a good idea but we probably would have ended up hurting ourselves worse than anything but we did it anyway - we grabbed meat cleavers, a butcher knife, and a bunch of carving a paring knives - as if we could fight this spirit off with knives!
We decided to walk with our backs facing eachother and slowly make our way across the living room back to Jack's room when halfway thorough, the spirit was inside the house. It was lunging towards us, trying to swipe at any of us. We hurriedly made our way to Jack's room.
After we came in, John took the knives away from us while me and Nicole huddled in the corner of Jack's bed. The spirit was standing in the doorway - unable to come in. Jack asked me to make a rune curse but I had never experimented with that before. He told us the reason why the spirit couldn't enter his room was because he had placed a rune curse so that no spirits could enter. The one he was asking me to make was for the door. Why for the door? He closed his door and there was loud banging and scratching. Oh. We opened the door and watched the spirit pace back and forth in the doorway, trying to get in. There was no way we were getting to sleep like this.
Jack sat in the middle of his room, making the rune curse for the door while John, Nicole and I all huddled on the bed. Jack punched a hole in his door, placed the curse inside and closed the door. It was finally quiet. I asked him to make me a rune curse as well, to take with me everywhere. He told me it was probably my fault that this spirit wouldn't leave us alone. He said my light was so bright. Nicole and John laughed but realized that the situation was still very serious.
Then we heard scratching noises coming from Jack's bedroom window. Jack said it was probably an animal that got caught in the holly bushes. Apparently, that happened a lot. My bright idea was to check on the animal to see what was happening, so I pulled up the blinds and there was the spirit again. Scratching at the screen and pounding on the glass. Startled, we all jumped back and started yelling at the spirit to leave us alone but it wouldn't. Jack made another curse and slipped it between the blinds.
Finally, it was quiet again. We waited an hour, maybe more. I suggested we watch Sailor Moon (which came on at 7am at the time). Before we knew it, we passed out.

I don't speak to anyone who lives in that house anymore (we had a bit of a falling out). But before the falling out, Jack and I would talk about it all the time.
A few years ago, I asked John and Nicole if they remembered the incident and neither of them did. They thought I was making it up but I know for a fact that Nicole blanks out bad memories because there are a few memories that my family knows are true but Nicole doesn't remember them.

That was probably one of the scariest encounters I've ever had with any entity.

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    I just read paranormal stuff because I find it interesting, nothing scary or paranormal ever happens to me (at least so far), and I hope it doesn't. But wow, I hope those things never happen to you again!

    I hope all is well with you and your friends, and thanks for giving me that thrilling adrenaline rush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I didn't (at the time, of course) but that was the last major encounter in that house.
    I've seen things from time to time but nothing as excitingly scary as that encounter.

    Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been a bit worried that by reading about this stuff I'll somehow attract things of that nature - and I try to pull myself away but it's soo fascinating (reading about them, NOT attracting them!). :P

    Lately, the topic of shadow people has me really interested. Like I said in my previous post, I have had nothing extraordinary happen to me no ghosts, no weird creepy things - I just like to read up on these happenings, and the phenomena of shadow people is really intriguing to me.

    Anyway, on my fear and the possibility that shadow people exist...I walked into the kitchen yesterday night to get a cuppa tea (It was roughly 11pm Australian time), and I looked outside at a two-storey house that is behind my neighbour. They had some bedroom light on or something and their window blinds down, but they weren't completley shut (I am not a peeping tom BTW) and just as I passed into the kitchen, glancing out my window I saw a dark figure sweep by their window.

    It was most likely a person in the house, and it only happened for a second. But my house is also at a good distance from theirs to see things fairly well, and if it was a person walking in the room I would've seen shoulder and arm movement associated with walking, and I didn't. The shadow/silouette didn't have a definate neck, possibly hooded.

    But I will say...

    *It was late and I chose not to have that cuppa tea (thus more sleepy than if I had my caffiene).

    *I had been reading stories on shadow people earlier that day, so I was possibly a tad more paranoid at night.

    *And the shadow passing the other house was most likely one of the occupants passing by the window.


    My point is, I hope these things don't start jesting about when people such as myself show interest, and/or entertain the possiblity that they exist. They seem scary and I don't want their company.

    I do like reading your stories and I did manage to get to sleep that night fairly fine ( I usually sleep with my doona covering my head, particularly now that I've come back into my phase of reading paranormal things like this).Don't be worried, rationality and the fact that I don't have ANY experience in this subject allows me to dismiss it fairly easily.

    I just thought I'd share it with you.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, shadow people freak me out pretty bad. I've always seen them and my Mom used to say it was because I was really into the paranormal but I didn't know about shadow people 15 years ago - all I knew was that I was seeing shadows moving when I knew I was alone. And it's hard to figure out if it's something you think might be in the corner of your eye or something that you think you're seeing because you could be tired or stressed or emotional in some other kind of way. Because it happens so quickly, it's a tricky thing to explain to someone because the first thought is paranoia.

    I wouldn't be afraid of things attaching themselves to you just by reading things. A friend and I used to pick a scary topic at our night job (where we got off at 3am) and research as much as we could on our shift and she was afraid of things following her if she read or studied about them too much. I told her that if that was the case, the Jersey Devil would be after us as well as Nessie, Bigfoot, Vampires, Zombies, ect. But I understand where she was coming from because even though I see things, I still feel like there's something hovering over you once you've looked into a certain subject. My thing now is the Black-Eyed Kids. I really don't want to run into them. We read about them on one of our late night shifts and that stayed with me for a good few years until I was finally able to let it go. But I ran across an article about them recently and now I'm all freaked out when I come home at night. I'm just glad I don't work till 3am anymore! That was the worst time to come home after reading about them - especially in my old apartment complex, which was not the safest area.

    But I really think that you can't really attract supernatural things by just reading or studying about them. I go to a seer every once in a while and she always reminds me that I was born "open" to these things because I'm an Indigo. So, I have to do spiritual "cleansing"-types of things like the white light visualization to scare off demons and bad spirits. If you feel like you're starting to feel a negative presence around, do the white light visualization. I find that it helps me. Just visualize a white light showering you, clearing all the bad energy around you - like a light "shower" or sorts. It always makes me feel better. And she also says to smile and laugh a lot and try to radiate happiness. It's harder for things to attach themselves to you if you're giving off a positive light/vibe. :D

    Let me know if you see it again. That would be really interesting.

    ReplyDelete